The Northeast HERS Alliance offers a hybrid training course, comprised of 35 hours of online instruction and 5-days of classroom/field instruction, designed to prepare individuals to become certified Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Raters. The course meets the national standard for the training and certification of energy raters adopted by the Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET).
The class covers:
- Basic energy and building science concepts
- Field experience with blower door testing and duct blasting
- Training on the latest version of REM/Rate software and Ekotrope
- Combustion safety and workscope concepts
To meet RESNET’s field testing requirements, each student will conduct a field rating and blower door test in the presence of a trainer. New RESNET requirements include additional training and testing on combustion safety. The course now includes preparation and proctoring for the 55-question multiple-choice rater exam, the combustion safety practical exam and the practical simulation exam.
Fees and Policies
The cost for the full rater training is $2595.00 (an Early Bird Discount of $200 off is available for those who register 4 weeks in advance of the online component) and includes:
- 35 hours of online instruction
- 5 days classroom/field instruction
- Two of the five Probationary Ratings overseen by a RESNET certified Candidate Field Assessor required by RESNET
- Preparation, fees, and proctoring for all three of the RESNET exams
- Reference materials, lunches, and a one-year membership to the Alliance
A payment of $1000 is required with the application to hold a space for the class. The balance must be paid three business days prior to the first day of the online class. Registration and payment can be done using a credit card online from our Events page. Click on the training you are interested to register.
The both portions of the course are available separately for those who want to complete their Rater certification in stages, have had previous training, or wish to gain knowledge or experience for reasons other than Rater certification.
Pricing for Training Components:
Online Training only: $750.00* (does not include software or testing)
Classroom/Field Training only: $1995.00* (includes tests). Please note that RESNET requires raters to complete an entire rater training course for certification as defined in section 202 of the RESNET standards.
*Requires permission of the trainer(s).
All students participating in the classroom component of the Hybrid HERS Rater Training Course will be required to sign a liability waiver prior to the start of the course.
NEHERS Refund Policy
The Alliance is pleased to be able to offer high quality HERS Rater training in the Northeast. It would be unfortunate to have to cancel a class at the last minute because one or more students drop out. In order to cover our costs and continue to hold classes when students cancel, our refund policy is as follows:
There is a non-refundable $100 deposit at the time of registration. Fees paid by the Alliance to RESNET for software licenses included in the training are also non-refundable. And any fees paid by students for Krigger books are not refundable once the books have been shipped.
If you need to cancel your registration and our training coordinator receives notice of your cancellation in writing (email):
- 21 or more days prior to the online class: You will be refunded the full training cost minus the $100 non-refundable deposit.
- Between 21 and 8 days prior to the online class: You will be refunded the full training cost minus the $100 non-refundable deposit and a $150 processing fee.
- 7 calendar days or less prior to the online class: No refund.
If you need to transfer your registration to an upcoming training and our training coordinator receives notice of your intent to transfer in writing (email):
- 21 or more days prior to the online class: You may apply the non-refundable deposit, plus a $100 transfer fee, to a future Alliance training session if one is available.*
- Between 21 and 8 days prior to the online class: You may apply the non-refundable deposit, plus a $250 transfer fee, to a future Alliance training session if one is available.*
- 7 calendar days or less prior to the online class: You may apply the non-refundable deposit, plus a $500 transfer fee, to a future Alliance training session if one is available.*
CANCELLATIONS AFTER TRANSFERS
If a registration is transferred to a future Alliance training session and you then withdraw, the Alliance will retain both the non-refundable deposit and the transfer fee based on either how many days in advance of the original training you transferred or how many days in advance of the subsequent online training you withdrew, whichever is shorter. If you transfer your registration seven calendar days or less prior to the online class and then withdraw from the subsequent training, there is no refund. Students must transfer registrations within 1 year from their original registration and may transfer registrations no more than twice.
Exceptions to the above stated policy are rare but will be considered on a case-by-case basis with the approval of the NEHERS Board of Directors. If you have to withdraw from a class, please contact the training coordinator immediately at 978-633-3013.
*Future Alliance training sessions, may or may not include third party subsidies, therefore future sessions may be at a higher cost than the one from which you are withdrawing. If you transfer to a class that is at a higher cost, the student will be responsible for the difference.
Information about registration requirements, computer requirements and what to bring to class.
Rater Training Prerequisites
There are no official prerequisites for attending the training. However, for those who do not already have a strong, or current, background in building science, attendance at the training alone may not be sufficient to pass the exam. Candidates are encouraged to study on their own prior to the rater training course using such reference materials as Residential Energy, by John Krigger. You can purchase this book along with your registration or from our online store for $81.75 (including shipping). This book covers basic home performance technical material and is easy to refer to during the open book exam.
For students taking the Full Rater Training, you must complete the Online Training before being admitted to the Classroom training.
What To Bring
Online course: Materials will be provided. See computer specifications below.
For classroom: Each attendee must bring his or her own PC-Compatible (could be a Mac with a Windows emulator loaded - please request more details) laptop computer (specifications below). The trainer will distribute the latest version of rating software to each student on the first day of class for temporary use.
Laptop computer specifications:
- CPU: 1 GHz Pentium II or faster
- RAM: 512 MB minimum
- Disk Space: 1 GB free
- Screen Resolution: 800 x 600 pixels minimum
- Operating System:
- Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Windows Vista
- MacIntosh with Windows emulator running and a copy of one of the approved Windows Oss installed. Please have this tested and working properly prior to class. Contact me for more information.
- Web Browser: The latest version of your browser of choice (recommended: either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome
- Ethernet port and/or wireless capability
- CD-ROM drive and USB port
- A power strip and computer power cord
For field training: Handheld calculator, tape measure, flashlight, and clipboard.