JOB DESCRIPTION: RESIDENTIAL ENERGY SPECIALIST
GDS Associates, Inc. has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a motivated Residential Energy Specialist in the Building Energy Services Department located in Manchester, New Hampshire. Qualified candidates will have an understanding of home building and construction practices, an interest in energy efficient residential construction (single and multifamily), the ability to read construction drawings and specifications and excellent communications skills in working with developers and home builders.
This position will require travel 50% of time mainly within a 50-mile radius- north, south, and west of Boston, MA.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• On-site inspections: track energy related features of residential buildings through visual inspection
• Conduct mid-construction inspections to ensure compliance with ENERGY STAR and other energy efficiency programs
• Diagnostic testing and documenting performance of homes upon final inspection
• Providing in-field technical training and support to builders and subcontractors on improving energy performance, health and durability of new residential buildings
• Residential plans / specifications review and computer modeling
• Maintain positive relationships with builders, architects, and building owners (project managers)
• Blueprint/construction drawing take-offs and area calculations
• Collecting and/or calculating data inputs for energy modeling software
• Research of HVAC, appliance and lighting specifications
• Program administration
• Meticulous file management
GDS offers an energetic, friendly work environment, great benefits, and excellent professional development opportunities.
GDS Associates, Inc. is a fast growing, dynamic, multi-faceted engineering and consulting firm including energy efficiency and renewable resources services to residential construction, commercial and utility markets nationwide. The GDS Northeast office is responsible for the implementation of residential energy efficiency programs for clients throughout the region. These programs provide technical support, training, incentives, quality assurance and home energy rating services to homebuilders, homeowners, re-modelers, insulation and heating contractors. Our residential energy efficiency specialists promote healthy, sustainable and energy efficient homes through careful plans analysis and assistance throughout the construction process.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
Required Experience and Skills:
• Technical/Associate’s Degree or Some College Education in related field
• Minimum 1-2 years experience in building diagnostics, air infiltration reduction and building shell insulation
• Knowledge/experience of construction and building science
• Ability to calculate volumes and square footage from blueprints
• Proficient in Microsoft Products: Word, Excel, Outlook
• Basic math and geometry skills
• Understanding of residential construction materials and components
• Attention to detail - speed and accuracy are essential
• Must pass a background check
• Computer literacy with other Microsoft® (MS)Windows-based software products and mobile devices
• Excellent oral and written communication skills particularly with primary points of contact in the construction field
• Must have reliable transportation and good driving record
Preferred Experience and Skills
• RESNET-Home Energy Rater (HERS-Rater) training or BPI training
• Desire and ability to learn about energy efficient construction, including diagnostic testing
• Experience in residential HVAC a plus (e.g. sizing heating and cooling systems, system installation, troubleshooting and/or duct design)
Performing an inspection involves extensive navigation in and around homes in various stages of construction. Inspections sometimes require the consultant to enter confined spaces (e.g. residential attics, basements and crawl spaces) and to utilize scientific measurement equipment that weighs approximately 35 pounds.
Inspections will require the ability to climb ladders sometimes to heights of 25 feet. Therefore, an Inspector must possess some physical dexterity, endurance, and balance to safely and effectively accomplish this work.
GDS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information contact Bruce at firstname.lastname@example.org or (603) 656-0336.